To request services, call 604.723.9742 or submit inquiry here.
Building Strong Families
The Colt Young Parent Program in Richmond keeps pregnant teens and adolescent parents in school, and helps them to overcome the barriers that can keep them from finishing school and finding work. These barriers include a lack of daycare for their children, economic difficulties, transportation, as well as relationship and personal issues. The educational experiences offered through the program help them to develop as individuals, parents, students, employees and citizens. While participating in the program, their children are provided with quality daycare—on campus.
What the Colt Young Parent Program offers to pregnant teens and young parents:
- Childcare facility on Richmond Secondary School grounds
- Parent education and counselling
- Academic courses available on a trimester basis
- A teacher dedicated to teen parents
What pregnant teens and young parents can expect to get from the Colt Young Parent Program:
- Encouragement and assistance in completing an education program
- Parenting skills
- Life skills
- Strong sense of self, improved self esteem
- Tools for exploring career and work opportunities
- Understanding of post-secondary education options
…all this while their children are being cared for in a quality daycare—on the school grounds.
Our Staff: Professional social worker/family counsellor for the parents; Certified Early Childhood Educators (ECE)for the children.
Free Program: There are no fees for the Colt Young Parent Program. Funding is provided by the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Ministry of Economic Security and Social Development, and the Richmond School District No.38.
Where to find us
Richmond Secondary School
7171 Minoru Blvd
For more information, call 604-668-6400 ext 2250
General Student Parent inquiries