To request services, call 604-875-6277 or submit inquiry here.
Building strong families
We work with parents/caregivers and children, and any other person or community resource that would assist a family to increase the safety and well-being of their children and to reach their individual and collective goals.
Family Services of Greater Vancouver is delivering these services in partnership with Westcoast Family Resources—sharing a common referral office to cover all of Vancouver.
Types of services offered
We understand that every family’s situation is unique and, as such, we provide a range of services to address a variety of needs:
- Counselling for individuals, couples and families
- Group sessions to develop parenting skills, life skills or to meet other therapeutic needs
- Coordination between our services and other community resources
- Supervised visits with children in care
- One-to-one support for children and youth
- Mentoring programs for children, youth and parents
- Homemaker services
- Play therapy
- Specialized therapy
- Parent education programs
- Information and referral to other community resources
- We are guided by the best interests of the child in all that we do.
- We believe in the strength of family.
- We treat all families with dignity, respect and compassion.
- We respect the uniqueness of individuals, celebrate diversity and promote understanding.
- We believe children and families grow and develop in healthy communities.
- We believe community is developed through the relationships we have with the families we serve, our community partners and each other.
- We believe working together strengthens our collective ability to make a difference.
- We are a progressive, flexible organization responsive to client and community needs.
- We value lifelong learning, experiences and education and are committed to the highest degree of professionalism.
How to receive service:
This is a gated service and thus all families are referred to the program by a social worker with the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). These services require a referral from and ongoing involvement with an MCFD Social Worker.
Reasons for referrals:
Everyone experiences challenges from time to time in life – but some take a little more to work through than others. A social worker from MCFD has been made aware of your family situation and believes this service can assist you to improve your home situation for your children and yourself. You may be experiencing one or many of these life challenges:
- a need for parenting skills
- conflict with your children
- parent/child separation
- stress related to change
- a life crisis
- single parenting issues
- life as a new parent
- relationship difficulties/breakdown
- difficulty accessing resources
- grief and loss
- physical health issues
- family court involvement
- depression/other mental health challenges
- immigration/settlement concerns
- traumatic experiences (past/present)
- family violence
Any of these can add stress to your life and impact your ability to be an effective parent.
There are no fees charged for this program. Funding for the Vancouver Family Preservation and Reunification Program is provided by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
If English isn’t your first language, we are also able to provide services in: Cambodian, Cantonese, Farsi, French, Hindi, Mandarin, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Urdu, Vietnamese.
Where to find us:
Referral Office and Southwest Vancouver Team-
Family Services of Greater Vancouver
4103 Fraser Street, Vancouver BC
CALL: 604-875-6277 FAX: 604-875-0760
Southeast Vancouver Team
Effective July 27, this office is closed. Programs are now located at 4103 Fraser Street.
201 – 2010 East 48th Avenue, Vancouver BC
CALL: 604-324-9951 FAX: 604-322-5513